Trust us – the HR conference and expo was a good one
The HRINZ Conference 2010 (Restoring the Trust) was my first ‘real’ HRINZ Conference experience – although I’ve experienced others vicariously by reading and editing conference highlights in the HumanResources magazine over the years.
Here are just some of my ‘take-away’ highlights (there will be lots more highlights from attendees in our October issue of the HumanResources magazine):
Roger Steare on How to Lead a Culture of Integrity:
-Workplaces focus too much on purpose rather than creating a sense of belonging. (We’re human beings, we like to belong)
- Cultural Integrity is when together we decide what rules to obey. (The less rules there are, then people take more responsibility – think of the town with no traffic signs.)
- To build a culture of integrity – stop and think about what is right (arrogance, greed and denial isn’t), talk about what’s right, unite on moral values and act fairly for the common good.
And check out the Dilbert cartoons on ethics here.
David Thompson on The Morning After the Night Before:
- Does your work bring you closer to your personal goals?
- Two questions to ask your team; what’s most important to you (eg having a mentor, a great boss, flexibility, meaningful work) and how are we doing at meeting them?
- Be creative with your people – they don’t dream about spreadsheets, they don’t leave their heart at the door when they come to work.
Paul Kirkbridge on Challenges for the Next Decade and Beyond:
- 70% of people’s learning happens on the job and development is most powerful when there’s pressure, you’re making a difference, you have no experience and there’s a chance of failure.
The Gala Dinner and Party – wow, HR people know how to boogie; the dance floor was heaving with doctors, nurses, fire fighters, villains and super heroes all having a good time – whether they were ‘trusted or not’.
A big thank you to speakers, expo exhibitors (for some great networking), sponsors, delegates (more great networking) and the HRINZ team for another outstanding conference.
What was your conference highlight?
Post – HRINZ conference info:
- Photos of the HRINZ Conference, Expo, Gala Dinner and welcome drinks can be viewed on our Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/hrinz and here
- More photos and highlights will be published in the October issue of the HumanResources magazine.
- Speaker’s presentations will be available next week on the HRINZ website.